Step 2: Choose guardian candidates and finalize your decision
You may have a few potential guardianship candidates in mind, whether they’re friends or family. If so, write down your top choices.
If you’re making this decision with someone else (such as a spouse or partner), write separate lists and compare afterwards. Were your choices the same? That makes things easy! If they were different, reevaluate the candidates more closely. Look at each candidate separately and ask these questions:
- Is the candidate physically and financially able to be a guardian?
- How is the candidate’s current relationship with your kids?
- If the candidate also has children, how would your kids fit into their family structure?
- Would your children have to move far to be with the candidate?
- Does the candidate have a stable lifestyle that can adjust to such a major responsibility?
Hopefully, after answering these questions, you can narrow down your choices to a single candidate who’s ready for the responsibility.