Why You Should Choose Personal Representatives
Executors in a Last Will and Testament
Attorneys-in-Fact/Agents in a Power of Attorney
Personal Representatives in a Living Will, Health Care Directive, or Medical Power of Attorney
Legal Requirements of Personal Representatives
- be of the age of majority.
- not be a felon.
- be of sound mind.
- depending on your local laws, live in the same region as you.
- be willing to act as your representative.
Common Skills of Personal Representatives
- are comfortable with accounting, or have a financial background.
- have experience with estate law or have been a personal representative before.
- have experience with filing paperwork.
- are comfortable in executing your wishes and handling sensitive decisions in your stead.
- are detail-oriented, organized, responsible, and reliable.
Your Responsibilities to Your Personal Representatives
- Be organized.
- Communicate clearly.
- Be honest.
- Keep your representatives informed.
- Be understanding.
Professional Personal Representatives
- A trust company
- A bank or law firm
- An attorney
- An accountant or financial advisor